Build a Mindful Sex Practice
When we think of mindfullness we may often think of mediation, yoga, or breathwork, however mindulless can also apply to our sexual practices. Within our fast-paced and distracted world, it's easy to lose the depth and connection that sex can offer. Therefore, actively practicing mindful sex invites us to bring our full presence and awareness to the bedroom. By consciously cultivating mindfulness during sexual experiences, we can enhance pleasure, foster emotional connection, and deepen our understanding of ourselves and our partners.
Here are some specific things you can do to cultivate mindfulness during sex:
- Mindful breathing: Focus on your breath throughout the sexual experience. Take slow, deep breaths and pay attention to the sensation of each inhale and exhale. This helps to anchor your awareness in the present moment and enhance your overall mindfulness.
- Slow and deliberate movements: Engage in slow and deliberate movements during sex. Whether it's touching, caressing, or thrusting, do it with intention and awareness. Focus on the sensations and feelings in your body as well as the connection with your partner.
- Mindful touch: Be mindful of your touch and the sensations it generates. Notice the pressure, temperature, and texture of your partner's body. Focus on each stroke, caress, or kiss, allowing yourself to fully experience the physical connection.
- Eye gazing: Maintain eye contact with your partner during intimate moments. Gaze into each other's eyes and connect on a deeper level. This practice fosters intimacy, vulnerability, and presence with your partner.
- Emotional connection and vulnerability: Cultivate emotional intimacy and connection with your partner during sex. Share your thoughts, desires, and fantasies. Express vulnerability and engage in open communication to foster a deeper connection and enhance the mindfulness of the experience.
- After-sex reflection: Take a moment after the sexual encounter to reflect on the experience. Express gratitude for the shared pleasure and connection. Discuss the experience with your partner, sharing any thoughts, feelings, or insights that arose during the practice.
Remember, building a mindful sex practice is an ongoing journey that requires patience, self-awareness, and open communication with your partner. It may be challenging at first, but with consistent practice, it can become a natural part of your sexual experiences, deepening intimacy and enjoyment.